- Grade 5 Science scores in Gorham have increased 16% in the last three years and are 12% higher than the state in 2010-11 in terms of proficiency toward meeting the standard.
- Grade 8 Science scores in Gorham have decreased by 3% over the last three years, yet remain a percentage point higher than the state in 2010-11 in terms of proficiency toward meeting the standard.
- Grade 11 Science scores in Gorham have increased 3% in the last three years and are 5 percent higher than the state in 2010-11 in terms of proficiency toward meeting the standard.
- 2011-12 Science Assessments through MEA (Grades 5 & 8) and MHSA (Grade 11 SAT) will occur in May 2012.
Significant Actions in Science Work:
- Over the last 4 years, Science Curriculum oversight has been under the purview of our Gorham Curriculum and Assessment Council.
- Teachers are increasing using common grade level units for instruction and assessments to monitor student progress and growth, as well as informing their instruction.
- Teachers are talking about best practices in science instruction throughout all grade levels.
- Systemically, outside resources in terms of personnel and references have been brought in to talk about best practices in Science Instruction.
- Systemically, there has been a growing emphasis in terms of integration of technology throughout science instruction in every grade.
- The advent of the new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) Framework in Science instruction is playing a crucial role in defining our Gorham Science Curriculum and Instruction. This is being accompanied by the development of the Next Generation Science Standards to be formally adopted by December 2012.