The Free Meeting House is located at the entrance of University of Southern Maine and was built in 1821. The building was first used as a place where various religious groups could meet until they gained enough strength to build their own church.
For a hundred years, from 1850-1950, the building served as the first Gorham Town Hall and was used for various functions. People in Gorham came here to vote and transact town business.
The high school basketball team played and practiced here and the school held dances here.
When the building ceased to be used by the town, it reverted to the Robie family and heirs. In 1961, the Robie family presented it to the State of Maine for use by the Gorham Teachers College.
Today, it is the University of Southern Maine's Art Gallery