GORHAM SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT TO EQUITY AND INCLUSION FOR ALL STUDENTS
The Gorham Schools remain steadfast in our commitment to the success of ALL GORHAM STUDENTS.
As a district, we
Our District-wide Anti-Racism and Equity Policy provides an important framework for the ongoing application of this important work with students and staff. This work positions equity and inclusivity as the foundation to further the goals of our school district. We believe this work is the right work. We believe this continued work will lead to enduring and sustainable change in further pursuit of our district’s mission and vision to “Prepare and Inspire” ALL GORHAM STUDENTS to take on the complex challenges facing our current and future world.
Our Students: ALL Gorham students are confident learners who embody integrity, responsibility, and respect. They demonstrate resilience by embracing and overcoming challenges in the classroom and in the community. All students are critical thinkers and clear communicators who successfully navigate our changing world.
Our Learning: ALL Gorham students actively engage in learning that is academically rigorous and challenging in meaningful ways. Students analyze real world problems and share innovative solutions that extend beyond the classroom into the community. Learning is personalized to meet the needs and to honor the passions of all students.
Our Culture: ALL Gorham students learn in safe, positive, and inclusive environments that support risk-taking. Our staff builds strong, caring relationships with ALL students. Classrooms are collaborative and interactive where students have real choices and responsibilities.
ALL GORHAM STUDENTS ARE PREPARED AND INSPIRED TO TAKE ON THE COMPLEX CHALLENGES FACING OUR CURRENT AND FUTURE WORLD.
OUR CORE BELIEFS ABOUT LEARNING:
* ALL students can learn, be successful, and do extraordinary things.
* Strong relationships are foundational to learning.
* ALL students learn best in safe, caring environments.
* Each student is unique and learns in different ways and at different rates.
* Meaningful learning connects student interests and real world contexts.
* Learning involves taking risks, making mistakes, and reflecting on outcomes.
* ALL students need timely, genuine feedback to meet high expectations.
* Celebrating success increases motivation and builds self-esteem.
* When schools, families, and communities create true partnerships, learning is enhanced.
* Learning is a lifelong endeavor sparked by curiosity.
Diversity is a core value in the Gorham Schools. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all students, staff, and families. We believe every member of our school family enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges and to discover, design and deliver solutions together.