Welcome to the 2021-2022
Gorham Schools Volunteer Webpage!
~~ A Message for Senior Parents ~~
If you would like to chaperone the project graduation event please know that you must be a registered and approved volunteer for Gorham Schools. This does not include being a member of a boosters club.
Please make sure to fill out a volunteer form and complete the online volunteer orientation.
Thank you, we are looking forward to a wonderful, fun event for all seniors!!
Please read through this process BEFORE you fill out the registration forms.
The process for becoming a volunteer for the Gorham School Department is as follows:
Registration must be completed each
school year for each child
online at the www.gorhamschools.org
website. Click on 'Human Resources' and then 'Volunteer Program' to find the registration forms. It is preferable that you register at the end of August or the start of September
to ensure that the background check has time to process. If you are a parent to a kindergarten student please do not register until you know the name of your child's teacher. An email contact is appreciated. Only denied candidates are notified. Please do not wait until the last 2 months of school to register as we can not guarantee that it will be processed.
2. Volunteer orientation: All volunteers must complete a volunteer orientation before being allowed to volunteer in the schools. For the convenience and safety of our volunteers, we no longer hold in person orientations. You will receive an email with access to the orientation after you have registered to volunteer. The online volunteer orientation should take you 15-20 minutes and must be completed prior to your volunteering in the school district. You must take this volunteer orientation each school year even if you have taken one in the past. The reason for this change to our policy is to ensure expectations for newly updated COVID safety protocols are clear as well as the rules and procedures that are utilized in the Gorham Schools to keep everyone safe
COVID 19 INFORMATION:
All volunteers entering the Gorham schools will follow the same policies as staff and students.
The following documents can all be found on the COVID 19 page of our website! Please take a moment to read through them.
1. Gorham School Department Pandemic Operations Plan.
2. COVID-19 Return to School Guidelines for Students and Families
3. MDOE & CDC Standard Operating Procedures for Contact Tracing
Know the symptoms which can include the following:
Fever or chills
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Muscle or body aches
New loss of taste or smell
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
PLEASE STAY HOME IF YOU ARE SICK.
Daily Health Screening Sequence of Events:
1. If there are no flags you may proceed to school.
2. If you have been exposed to COVID 19 and you are unvaccinated you can not go to the school and should stay home for 5 days.
3. If you are exposed to COVID 19 and are vaccinated you do not need to stay out of the school if asymptomatic.
4. If you are diagnosed with COVID 19 or have any of the COVID 19 symptoms listed above, you can not go to the school. You should stay home for 5 days from the first symptom, no fever (without use of medication) and symptoms have improved.
CDC operating procedures do change so please contact your school nurse if you have any questions or for up to date information.
Gorham High School Nurse - Joyce LaRou and Lauren Hebert - 222-1105
Gorham Middle School Nurse - Alicia Murray - 222-1224
Village School Nurse - Carrie Chasse - 222-1336
Narragansett School Nurse - Collette Andreasen - 222-1260
Great Falls School Nurse - Melissa Tringalli - 222-1062
PLEASE NOTE: Volunteers need to wear a mask while inside the school building.
Volunteers need to wear a mask while inside the school building.
Volunteer Forms below are for the 2021-22 school year!
The Gorham School Volunteer Program’s mission is to increase student achievement through meaningful parent and community involvement in our schools.
Your tremendous donation of time, skills, talents, warmth, and attention is invaluable to our students and staff.
Here are a few of the many volunteer opportunities that Gorham Schools has to offer!
Please check in with each school as they do vary and scroll down to the bottom of this page for a list of current volunteer opportunities.
Classroom volunteering, chaperone field trips, chaperone a GMS school dance, help with a kids club, mentor, tutoring, prep work or photocopying, help with school plays/musicals, athletic activities, volunteer to help with hearing and vision screenings, volunteer in the library, tutor an adult ELL student, help in the art department...etc.
A Message from Superintendent Heather J. Perry
Dear Parents, Guardians, and Community Members,
Thank you for considering volunteering for the Gorham School Department! It is only through the helping hands of volunteers just like yourself that we are able to do many of the wonderful things that we do for students! The Gorham Schools truly appreciates your willingness to serve our children.
Volunteering in the field of education is very different than it was just 20 years ago. Unfortunately, due to events such as Columbine or Sandy Hook, schools must make extra efforts to ensure the safety of all children attending our schools. As a parent/guardian, grandparent, caregiver, or community member, I’m sure you stand with us in making sure our students are safe and continue to be under the care of the most qualified and caring adults.
In the interest of protecting the safety of students and staff, the school unit continues to conduct criminal background checks on all volunteers who will be working directly with or will have access to students, including those chaperoning students on field trips or school sponsored excursions.
When you fill out your volunteer registration form, you will be asked to provide your birth date and maiden name (if applicable). This information will then be submitted to the State Bureau of Identification. Please know that if anything does show on your records check, that it will not necessarily bar you from volunteer service. I will review any reports of criminal history and will decide whether the person may volunteer.
Once again, THANK YOU for your cooperation, patience and understanding. The Gorham Schools are grateful for your willingness to donate your time, energy and expertise to our children and doubly grateful for the tremendous contribution you have made and will continue to make to the children of this community through your efforts.
Heather J. Perry, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Heather J. Perry
Superintendent of Schools
Gorham School District
75 South Street, Suite 2
Gorham, ME 04038
Tel. # - 207-222-1000
Fax. # - 207-839-5003